Saturday, April 17, 2010

conscious consumer

incomplete thoughts: there's a phrase that says you vote with your money.

it's true! where you put your money determines what businesses thrive and which don't. and in a way, buying products supports the system by which it was designed, produced, marketed. i was thinking about it, just because especially when we were in taiwan - my dad would always ask me after i bought something, where was it made?

its weird, even though I've always known this to be true, I don't think about it when I buy things. I just buy things that I like. And now that I've started trying to pay more attention, it's not easy! It's easier to buy something in order to support something (a business, or Taiwan for instance). To decide NOT to buy something is a lot harder -- I keep thinking, but i really like/want it! I supposed, I'm just not in the habit of thinking that way. But I don't think most people are; and that simply perpetuates the less than ethic business practices that allow companies to produce things faster and cheaper.

No comments: